Contents of this article is applicable to the following users
Access Level: Owner
Up to two levels of approvers can be assigned to a leave approval structure at any one time. For two levels of approval, the leave request will be approved by the 1st approver, then by the 2nd approver.
By default, the leave approval structure is 1 tiered only, with the 1st approver containing all the managers and owners. This is the default to represent the most basic approval structure - that anyone can approve leave requests unless they are an employee or supervisor. You can change it as per your team structure as explained below in this article.
You can learn how to approve leave here.
Sample leave approval setup:
This guide covers the following:
Set Up Approval Structure
Only users with “owner” access levels can set up the leave approvers.
In Web app, go to Settings > Off And Leave > Approval and Routing.
2. You can filter the group of employees according to access level by clicking All Employees > Select the relevant group of people you want to allocate the leave types to.
3. Click on the ‘Select staff and edit approvers’ button > Select all the relevant staff you want to approve the leave to > ‘Edit Approvers’.
4. You can select multiple staff and allocate the leave types to all of them at once.
Click on ‘Select Staff and edit approvers’ button > Select the box next to the ‘Staff’ tab > Ensure all the boxes beside the names relevant staff you want to allocate the leave type to is selected as well.
5. A pop-up window will appear to ask you to edit the 1st and 2nd approvers. You can select the following approvers from the drop-down list:
All the managers in the company (even if they are not in staff’s sections)
All owners in the company (even if they are not in staff’s sections)
All managers and owners
A particular manager/owner from the company
6. When done, click ‘Save’ to make the changes.
Automatically Set Approvers for Newly Added Staff
You can also set the default approver settings for the new staff to be automatically assigned to the settings.
Scroll down to the ‘Default newly added staff to’ section and allocate the 1st and 2nd approvers accordingly.
Click Save after changes are made.
Recommend Approval Structure
The following examples will help you determine what is the right leave approval structure:
Your team structure
Number of tiers recommended
Staff & Manager's leaves
1. What happens if your approval flow is broken?
Your staff’s leave approval flow could be disrupted when a manager/owner’s account has been deactivated. In such cases, be careful when your approvers have resigned from the company and there might not be any approvers approving staff’s leave applications.
2. Who can edit or cancel a leave after it has been approved?
Basically the highest approver can edit or cancel a staff's leave after it has been approved.
If your organisation is on a 2-tier approval system:
ONLY the 2nd approver can edit/cancel the leave if the application is approved by 2nd approver.
1st approver can edit/cancel the leave if the application is not approved by 2nd approver yet.
If your organisation is on a 1-tier approval system, the approver can edit/cancel the leave.
Staff can edit/withdraw/cancel the approved leave too.